Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Story of Bottled Water

The video by Annie Leonard on The Story of Bottled Water stun me!! There are several fact that Leonard mentions in her video that strike me. It really never occur me to think about how the bottle of water was processed, or ask myself why I rather buy a $1.50 bottle of water than drinking tap water, it just happened!! When I’m outside and I’m thirsty I don’t like drinking from the school fountains or the bathroom’s water (really?) so I prefer buying water and when I’m home we don’t directly drink tap water we use Brita as a filter.
When I buy a bottle of water I always feel like it is safer to drink that than drinking tap water, I guess I’m one of those who fell for the ridiculous propaganda from the companies that Leonard mentions in her video. According to Leonard, the water in the bottles have lower quality compared to tap water and that most water from those expensive brands of bottle come from tap water!! Not only it has less quality, it expensive and has less taste!! It is truth though, I find the water that I drink home (tap water with the filter) tastier than the water from the bottle!! And all those bottles end up polluting our environment! The companies seduce us with their beautiful picture of mountain and rivers, and by scaring and telling us that tap water is not safe. This is a way to mislead us and hide the real truth about where they obtain the water in their bottle.
Another fact that Leonard mentions was how the companies lies about the way they recycle the bottle. As we all know water is good for our health and a lot of people would rather buy a bottle of water than soda, which means they will be an excessive amount of bottles threw in the garbage; where all these bottles go? According to Leonard, 80% lend whether in land field and won’t decompose for at least 1000 of years, or burn which release toxic solutions in the atmosphere. The other 20% is shipped to India and loaded in a specific place and sometimes lend in other people backyard as Leonard describes it. This is absurd!!! Water is the most natural and wealthy thing we obtain from our environment and companies found a way to make it one of the worst polluting factors of our environment, this is ironic. As Leonard states in her video, less people are buying bottle of water which is good and make the companies furious!!
I came from a little island from Africa, and because it’s a poor country we don’t have the equipment required to have safe tap water so most avoid drinking from tap water. We always drunk from filter water, boiled water or bottle of water but that is understandable . However now that I know the real story behind those bottles of water I’m curious to know whether or not the bottle we used in my country have lower quality than our tap water.
Companies always find ways to blind their costumer from the reality and make them buy their product, now that I know the truth, I won’t buy no bottle of water!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we are often too easily fooled by this type of commercial propaganda. This is why it's so important to educate ourselves about such things, right?

    ReplyDelete